Canada was told in advance that the U.S., Britain and France were planning to launch airstrikes against Syria, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Saturday — but was not asked to participate.
"We were apprised in advance of the operation," Trudeau told reporters at the end of a three-day visit to Peru. "We were very supportive. And there was no request for Canada to join as part of that operation."
The comments came as the international community was still grappling with the aftermath of the Friday's airstrikes against the Syrian government in retaliation for a suspected chemical-weapons attack that killed dozens of people.
U.S. officials have said the strikes hit three chemical-weapons facilities, including one in Damascus and two in Homs. U.S. President Donald Trump hailed the attacks on Twitter as "perfectly executed," adding: "Mission Accomplished!"
Syria has denied launching any chemical-weapons attacks, including one on April 7 in the rebel-held enclave of Douma that killed at least 43 people and injured hundreds more and was the catalyst for Friday's airstrikes.
Russia, which has emerged as Syrian President Bashar Assad's strongest supporter, previously suggested Israel and Britain were behind the Douma attack and expressed outrage Saturday over the airstrikes.
The U.S., Canada and their allies have largely dismissed Damascus's denials and said the strikes were necessary, but have not said how they know that the Syrian government was responsible for the chemical-weapon attacks.