Pipeline massive sparks fire in BC

Category : Canada News
Updated On : October 11, 2018 05:07 AM
By Indian Times Daily

About 100 members of a First Nation community in northern British Columbia were evacuated from their homes Tuesday evening after a gas pipeline ruptured, sparking a massive blaze.

The rupture happened on a natural gas transmission pipeline owned and operated by Enbridge about 13.5 kilometres from Prince George on Tuesday evening, Enbridge spokesman Michael Barnes said in an e-mailed statement.

It ignited at the site, which is in a rural area. There are no reports of injuries, he said.

“Enbridge emergency crews have responded, have isolated and are currently depressurizing two natural gas transmission lines in the vicinity to contain the incident,” he said. “The incident area has been cordoned off to maintain public safety.”

Residences within several kilometres of the site were evacuated as a precaution, but within a few hours the evacuation zone was reduced to a kilometre and residents were allowed to return home, police said. The evacuees largely belonged to the nearby Lheidli T’enneh First Nation.

Please enter valid email!

Show Please enter password!

Forgot your password?

Please enter name!

Please enter name!

Please enter valid email!

Show At least 6 characters

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Please enter valid email!

Back to log-in

Close