Army rejects call for mental health checks

Category : UK News
Updated On : July 11, 2019 01:47 AM
By Indian Times Daily

The British Army has rejected calls for mandatory mental health screening for serving soldiers, it has been learned. Regular screening was recommended by a coroner following an inquest into the deaths of two infantrymen found hanged in the same Northern Ireland barracks.

But in a leaked letter, Gen Sir Nick Carter, head of the armed forces, said screening was "potentially harmful". Human rights charity Liberty, which represents the mothers of the soldiers, said it was concerned by the decision.

An inquest this year found that Corporal James Ross, 30, died an accidental death in December 2012, while the coroner recorded a verdict of suicide on the death of Rifleman Darren Mitchell, 20 - less than three months later - in February 2013. Both men were serving with the 2nd Battalion The Rifles and had previously been in active service in Afghanistan.

They were based at Abercorn Barracks in Ballykinler, County Down, when they died. Following the inquest, Joseph McCrisken, the coroner for Northern Ireland, criticised the Army's poor record-keeping, which meant crucial records for the two dead soldiers were missing.

This included post-deployment monitoring reports, up-to-date records of malaria jabs, as well as the recommendations of its own service inquiry into their deaths. The inquest also heard about eight documented cases of self-harming by soldiers at the barracks.

Please enter valid email!

Show Please enter password!

Forgot your password?

Please enter name!

Please enter name!

Please enter valid email!

Show At least 6 characters

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Please enter valid email!

Back to log-in

Close