The digital secretary has said he will question Grindr and Tinder about how they protect children after an investigation claimed they are put at risk of sexual exploitation. More than 30 cases of child rape have been investigated by police since 2015 after victims evaded age checks on such apps. Jeremy Wright described it as "truly shocking".
Grindr and Tinder said they have measures to prevent minors using them. A Freedom of Information request by the Sunday Times also showed 60 further instances of child sex offences - including grooming, kidnapping and violent assault - through online dating services.
The youngest victim was eight years old, the paper said. Following the investigation, Mr Wright said he would write to Tinder and Grindr to ask "what measures they have in place to keep children safe from harm, including verifying their age."
"If I'm not satisfied with their response, I reserve the right to take further action," he said. The minister also said the investigation produced "yet more evidence that online tech firms must do more to protect children".
Last week Instagram vowed to remove all self-harm images from the social media platform. The move comes after the father of 14-year-old Molly Russell, who took her own life in 2017, said Instagram had "helped kill" his daughter.