Windrush: Sajid Javid apologises to 53 more victims of scandal

Category : UK News
Updated On : June 11, 2019 12:07 AM
By Indian Times Daily

The Home Secretary Sajid Javid has apologised to another 53 victims of the Windrush scandal. Letters have been sent to 46 people who were sanctioned, for example losing their right to work, and seven who were illegally detained under immigration powers after they had completed their prison sentences. A total of 67 people have now received personal apologies from Mr Javid.

He said he was "committed to right the wrongs of successive governments". Thousands of people were wrongly targeted by the "hostile environment" strategy for illegal immigration in the Windrush scandal.

Many of those affected were people from Caribbean countries who arrived in the UK after World War Two, between 1948 and 1971. Mr Javid said the experiences of some of the Windrush generation - which involved wrongful detentions and deportations - had been "completely unacceptable".

The government's Commonwealth Citizen's Taskforce would be reaching out to individuals they were not already in contact with to provide any assistance required to document their status and to explain the compensation scheme, the Home Office said. An estimated 500,000 people now living in the UK have been called the Windrush generation, in reference to a ship which brought workers to the UK in 1948.

Please enter valid email!

Show Please enter password!

Forgot your password?

Please enter name!

Please enter name!

Please enter valid email!

Show At least 6 characters

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Please enter valid email!

Back to log-in

Close